Volunteer Orientation at HSSC

Hi Mom.

I may have mentioned last month - to you and Jason mostly - that I sent in an application to volunteer at the Humane Society of Sarasota County. It had been something I'd been thinking about doing since coming to Ringling, mainly because of the lack of animal socialization I receive living in a dorm on a college campus. When I started baby-talking to the local squirrels before winter break, I knew something needed to change.

Then, Katy passed away.

It's easy to not think about it, especially when I'm so far away and in a place I would never associate Katy with. Katy wasn't a part of my Ringling experience. She was the thing I got to see when I flew home for holidays/breaks. She wasn't here she was there...now she's...not. But now that she's gone I'd do anything to make it so she was. So, during my first week back from Winter Break, in the middle of a very dark, lonely, let's-think-of-every-awful-thing-that's-ever-happened kind of night, I sent in a volunteer application to HSSC in hope of giving back just a little bit of the many many years of love, devotion and unconditional loyalty that my own shelter rescue, Katy, had given to me. I am proof that with the right nurturing and encouragement someone else out there can find their Katy.

SO. It only took 2 months to finally get around to going to the Orientation (which isn't entirely my fault, since the first option (at the beginning of Feb) was on a week-day right in the middle of my class schedule). Today was the other option.


I know I know it says Samantha. NO ONE calls me Samantha. But whenever I write my name it is habit to write, 'Samantha' vs. 'Sam'. Sam is just so short when written. And they made our name tags based off of what we signed in as. The white is bleh (I know that's what you were already cringing at, Mom) but the teal is great. Love me some good teal/turquoise.

Right away, I was happy that I had decided to do this. List of things about HSSC that really impressed me:
  1. Largest no-kill shelter in the area.
  2. Very nice facilities. It doesn't have that sterile, 'animals come here to die' feeling that a lot of shelters give off. 
  3. The animals they take in are from overpopulated, kill-shelters. HSSC saves animals twice. First by taking them away from the threat of being put to sleep simply to provide space. And secondly when they help find these animals their home, while caring for them emotionally, mentally, physically AND medically. HSSC just recently opened up their own low-cost clinic in hopes of decreasing the amount of people who relinquish pets because they can't afford for their medical treatments. 
  4. Volunteers are treated like equals. There are a lot of places where the volunteer figure is seen as someone lesser because they aren't getting paid and come and go as they please. And because of that they don't receive as many opportunities as those on staff. At HSSC I felt right away that volunteers were just as important as the full-time staff. We weren't restricted to any particular spot or task. "If there isn't a sign telling you to not open a door, you can and SHOULD open that door." John (the Canine Expert), my tour guide told us as we toured. Volunteers work along staff, not under them. No orders are given. But honestly, for anyone that cares about the well-being of animals you don't need to be TOLD, "take him outside" or "clean up where he just peed". I, among the others, genuinely care about the physical and emotional comfort of every animal I meet. If I come across something that needs to get done that'll improve said animal's well-being, you bet I'm gonna do it.
  5. Perks. Okay...granted, getting paid would be nice. But being able to interact, play and ultimately chill out with animals is just as satisfying and less materialistic than being given a crisp $20. If all things in this world were paid in animal pets and kisses there would be no poverty. 

So after the general orientation -which was more full of people than I'd expected - we had the option to take the Canine Companion class or the Feline Companion. Ultimately it means you have to pick one or the other and that's the one you're going to start working with. I know what you're thinking: "Sam you're a dog lover with a cat's personality. And if Katy is what made you do this, you chose dogs." 

I chose the cat seminar and here's why:
  1. During the Orientation, the Head of Volunteer Coordination mentioned how Suzanne, 'Head of Felines' would be lucky if she got 1/30 people that come to volunteer that would attend the cat seminar. While she said this offhandedly and not to guilt anyone to jump ship, it immediately made me think of how little help people in the feline rooms get since the dogs are primarily the star of the show when it comes to HSSC. (Don't take this as dogs are better/worse than cats. I LOVE BOTH. I JUST HAD TO CHOOSE)
  2. The cats tend to stay in the shelter longer. The turnover rate for cats is much much lower than the turnover rate for dogs. Meaning, as a volunteer you are going to get to know these cats. And the cats are going to get to know you. 
  3. Smaller staff. I've always been in the mindset of having a few really good friends than having 30 acquaintances. So the fact that the feline side of the shelter had so much fewer volunteers and staff meant that once people start recognizing me, they'll know me. There won't be this mass of bodies that I will get lost in (quite literally since I'm 4'10) and my name won't get forgotten.
  4. The white boards. Each side of the kennel has whiteboards where volunteers write their name when they come in and then erase it when they leave. Simple. The dogs side had at least 20 names of volunteers in at that moment. That cats had 2. 
  5. Being indoors. While this wasn't ORIGINALLY one of the reasons I decided to choose cats, it is a definite pro...especially in Florida. I will never be expected to take a cat on a walk, in the middle of the day when it's 80 degrees but feels like 90 because of the humidity - during the spring I might add. Not even the summer.
  6. I probably will never have a cat for the rest of my life. Both of my parents have expressed that once our 3 cats eventually go (which will never happen because Fisher is immortal and has a Dorian Gray painting stored away somewhere) they won't be looking for more cats. I also have seemed to latch myself onto someone who is incredibly allergic to cats. And the fact that he has suffered through the first year by spending just as much time as my cat ridden house says a lot. So it's only fair/decent of me not to adopt a cat in our future household. I GUESS his well-being comes before my need for a cat. SIGH. RELATIONSHIP COMPROMISES. So, taking care of cats at HSSC may be the only interaction I get with my graceful, chill, completely unique feline friends for a while.
There was another reason that sort of nagged at me in my very far away subconscious as I was weighing the pros and cons. The entire reason I was doing this: Katy. I'd been following the adoptable animals on HSSC's website for a few months (because I'm a masochist obviously) and last month there was a 6 year old Border Collie mix that was a dead ringer for Katy. Had I walked into the kennels today and seen her with no warning, I don't know if I would have been able to function, or at least stop myself from having a meltdown/sob-fest in public. Mikayla (Katy's look-alike) has since been adopted but there may be more Katy lookalikes and I'm still very raw from losing her. (just typing this sentence has me welling up) So choosing to work with cats first is enough of that animal connection I'm missing while being away from home but also makes me smile when I see a cat and think, "Katy would have driven you insane."

Comments

  1. Can I buy your HSSC shirt? ilovethemeparks@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting Off Homework

Charlie