New Room!

Hi Mom.

So last week I was pondering moving off campus for the Spring Semester because I was already feeling the drain of having 1/3 of a room and two other people on top of me. Surrounded by white tile on the floors and walls and an awful florescent light. Not to mention communal bathroom. I emailed Res Life asking what my Housing Contract entailed and if it would be possible to move off campus come Spring.

That got shot down pretty quick and I was half expecting it would. By signing the housing contract I was obligated to live on campus for the entire school year. Bleh. But, Res Life did suggest I come and talk about my options of campus living since I'm older than the right out of high school freshmen.

The option I chose was literally in the next building over on the 4th floor. It's a double (two person) room but has its own private bathroom. The minute he said, "private bathroom" I wanted to move. Then of course came the risks of a new roommate. My old roommates were fine. There is literally nothing wrong with living with them. I could have been with any two other people and still wanted to move. But after a few months, I had learned their habits and what to expect from them. It was safe. A new roommate means learning and adapting to this person's new habits. If today was any indicator of the future, me and my new roomie are gonna get along just fine.

She's a sophomore Computer Animation Major meaning she will literally be in the labs all of the time. I have a few CA friends that are also sophomores and I've seen the zombies they have become half the time. She's also extremely nice and helpful. She'd cleaned my side of the room before I got there and even helped me lower my bed which wow I would not have asked her to help if I knew what it entailed. Basically we had to take off the mattress, completely flip over the frame, kick out of the notched in metal part (and neither of us have a lot of muscle to back up our kicking) and then while holding the woods ends straight, notch back in the metal thing at the desired height.

Needless to say with moving all of my crap from one room to another (my old building not having an elevator made for a very long workout this morning) and that pretty much exhausted my energy for the day.

Should have taken a photo of all my stuff piled up and ready to sort but it was a little overwhelming at the time so I was really just focused on unpacking. This is the shot I took before going off to my afternoon class.
Did I mention our private bathroom. No more flip flop showers! Hazzah! And I won't kill myself trying to get down from a loft bed and going down the hall when nature calls at 2 in the morning.

Shot from the elevator on the 4th floor. A common room outside of my locked hall which has its own common room. 4th floor makes for some very nice tree top views.

 Got to watch Hott Fuzz in film and narrative today (hard life) and when I came back after some dinner and homework I was able to fully unpack and put everything in its place. I had just enough left over stickys from my last move in that I got everything up on the wall I had. Also very happy I can have my TV at the foot of my bed again. Definitely feel more normal being able to play on my laptop in bed and glance at the TV from over it.
Which leads me to comparing the differences between this room and my last one. This room feels like a room. Somewhere a person can live for an extended period of time. My last room felt like a camp. And I'd been at that camp wayyy to long. My new room feels like something I can stay in for a while.

As much as I want to go home, I'm already more comfortable in my new room than I ever was in the old one. Yay some sanity after months of dark moods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting Off Homework

Volunteer Orientation at HSSC

Charlie