Department Conversations and Official Welcome

Hi Mom.

Aside from the cringeworthy name games, trust exercises and painfully long games of ninja, orientation was been on the up. This morning was the "Department Conversations" in which the each major wound up in some kind of room (since Illustration has a lot of people we got to be spaced out in one of the auditoriums) and proceeded to talk about what we could expect for the next four years out of our major.

Originally, I thought this would terrify me even more. But I wound up feeling really excited to start my classes and discover the kind of art I am capable of creating. Just by glancing at the student artwork that passed on the giant screen above the faculties' heads, I knew I'd chosen correctly - hopefully that feeling stays and grows positively as I continue on.  One thing that made me laugh was when someone asked, "Are freshmen allowed to submit portfolios to companies that come on campus to recruit." Caleb, one of the faculty, laughed and said immediately, "Not formally. And the reason for that is because companies kept hiring our freshmen."I feel like that's a really good indicator of the level Ringling is at.

After that, my roommate and I stayed to the back of the crowd, eavesdropping on faculty conversations - neither one of us really wanting to push through. My roommates and I are getting along awesome - we're all three introverts who skipped out on the meet and greet movie night last night because meh. Then we had lunch in the commons. The food isn't too terrible - yet. Hopefully it was stay that way, thought I've heard from some of the RA's that they keep it pretty quality for the first few weeks and it'll slowly decline. I'll keep you posted.

After lunch I went over to the mail room to finally get my address since I've got 5 people on my back about getting them my mailing address. The man at the window looked puzzled to why I hadn't already gotten it. Explaining that we were in the smaller, overflow hall- and not the main one where the mail room is, he seemed understanding. I wanted to yell, "There's just a lot happening okay?!" So, yes I've got my mailing address and mail box - text me if you'd like it for future care packages and letters. Amazon will most likely be my most frequent visitor.

And then to spend the next three hours sitting in the audience of the Official Welcome, which took place at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Center down the street. After another cringeworthy, but good hearted introduction, which included a Star Wars spoof, all majors characters played by the faculty, we sat through 3 hours worth of information we'd pretty much heard a hundred times.

It really is a big center - with an odd obsession with purple. The photo doesn't do it justice, but throughout the main hall and the rest of the building the only thing it screams is, "PURPLE!"

Notice the purple 'accents'. I say 'accents' because the entire building is literally purple.
Selfie with the roomie, Emelie. Whose been a good sport about keeping me company on big group trips.

After that I did my laundry, read some of my book while waiting for said laundry and then went to dinner. Now, I am happily in a pair of shorts with headphones on, watching Bob's Burgers and texting Jason - aka my other half. Getting excited for classes and my next four years is exhausting. Here's to another good night of sleep, thanks to my handy dandy clip fan that is literally my favorite thing in the world right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting Off Homework

Mailing Mishaps

Medical Issues